The Ministry of Transport, Mobility and Urban Agenda proposed to improve mobility throughout the Spanish territory through a discussion document presented at the end of last year. The main objective is to achieve safe, connected and above all sustainable mobility.
Today, we focus on one of the actuation lines of the report in which Rapidway wants to adapt and become part of this necessary change. Particularly, we are talking about the digitalization of the infrastructures, the transportation services and the logistics chain.
The diagnosis made by the ministry is clear, it is necessary to guarantee the integration of transport modes and establish interoperability at all levels of the system, promoting the adoption of new technologies. The different agents of the sector and society urge to advance in the transformation and transparency of the logistics sector through the integration of data that allow the integral management of the logistics chain.
The problem is that the degree of implementation of digitization is not equal for all modes, and each part of the logistics chain has its own methods with a different degree of advancement. This means that freight transport cannot yet be treated as a global system, but as a mere superposition of modes.
For these reasons, four different solutions are proposed:
- Favor the digital transformation of companies that belong to a sector with less innovative capacity, such as road transport.
- Promote all the necessary infrastructure to implement the eFTI Regulation. This infrastructure includes the adaptation of the administrations’ digital systems, which must be able to access the eFTI data stored and processed in “the cloud” through eFTI Platforms (it will have to be available in 2023).
- Promote the widespread use of electronic transport documents. These documents, recognized as valid by the Administration, provide multiple advantages to companies, such as real-time knowledge of the location and status of the merchandise throughout the chain, a reduction in their administrative management costs of up to 70% and the ability to bill more quickly.
- Develop training and dissemination work for private companies of the advantages of operating in a connected digital market.
Creation of the Digital Transport and Logistics Forum in Spain (FTLD), whose purpose is to promote the digital transformation of freight transport and a point of experiences exchange between operators of the aforementioned chain.
And, finally, a technology platform (SIMPLE), open and collaborative, will be created to serve as a homogeneous telematics tool to ensure interoperability between the different modes of transport through the digitization of supply chain information.
The platform will serve to:
- The reuse of information and thus strengthen the principle of providing data only once.
- Knowledge of the traceability of goods in the different means of transport.
- Create the interconnection between the Public Administration and the different private logistics agents.
We support all the measures proposed and we will try to make our own contribution to make the digital transformation of the logistic chain happen the fastest and the easiest possible way.